Memorial Day Weekend on Cape Cod
It's almost here! Memorial Day weekend, the almost official kick-off to summer on Cape Cod, is just around the corner. If you haven't been to the Cape in awhile, the Sagamore Rotary is no longer, and the Sagamore Fly-Over project is now complete. For more information on the new route onto and off of the Cape, see the Cape Cod Times web site. The Cape Cod Times has put together three great videos to provide an in-depth review of the Sagamore Fly-Over.
Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is observed this year on Monday, May 28th. You might choose to celebrate this day, honoring those who have died in service to our nation, by flying the American flag at half-staff until noon. Some also choose to fly the POW/MIA flag, in addition to the American flag at half-staff. Others visit the graves of the fallen and decorate them with flowers and tokens of our remembrance.
You never know if it's going to rain or shine for Memorial Day Weekend on Cape Cod, but there's plenty of fun things happening around town either way. If you're planning on hitting the Cape and Islands for the holiday weekend, here's a quick run down on some of the events:
- Looking for a place to stay for Memorial Day weekend? Check out Cape Vacancies, updated daily with thousands of current vacancies on Cape Cod. Whether you're looking for a Bed & Breakfast, Cottage, Inn, Motel, or Weekly Rental, you can find it on CapeVacancies.com!
- The 36th Annual Figawi Race is taking place May 25 - 28. Over 200 boats will be race from Hyannis to Nantucket, see the Figawi.com web site for more information.
- It's opening weekend at The Beachcomber in Wellfleet. The Incredible Casuals are back, The Greenheads, Dick Dale, and John Brown's Body will all be playing over the Memorial Day weekend. For dates, times, and ticket information, see the Beachcomber's online calendar.
- Visit the Wellfleet Drive-In Theatres! The Cape is home to one of the nation's few remaining drive-in theatres. Shrek The Third and Spider-Man 3 are playing this weekend, start times are 8:25pm and 10:20pm. For more information, see the Wellfleet Drive-In Theatres website.
- There is a Fine Arts and Craft Show on Saturday, May 26th10-5pm at Nauset Middle School in Orleans. For more information, please see the Artisans' Guild of Cape Cod web site.
- If you're looking for a fine French dining experience bar none, Chillingsworth in Brewster is now open for the 2007 season! Visit Kathy at the new bar, featuring the best martinis in town and bistro menu.
- The W.H.A.T. celebrates the new Julie Harris Stage - In June 2007, Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theater will open the doors to The Julie Harris Stage. MOJO is playing at the WHAT Harbor Stage, from May 23 - June 16. For tickets and more information, see What.org.